Thursday 12 November 2015

Maggy Shaft

Maggy Shaft


A few pics from a while ago. Sorry, I know I am so inconsistent with this Blog! Apologies!
I took a trip to the Maggy Shaft with Alex and Hue. This lies just at the perimeter of the base and is basically an L shaped tunnel that goes about 10 meters (I think) into the ice. It houses some equipment that measures magnetic fields – a magnetometer (hence the name Maggy Shaft). I won’t embarrass myself by trying to go into more detail! But I do know that the equipment is located in the tunnel to maintain a consistent temperature and, as it is very sensitive, to avoid any outside disturbances. This is an experiment that Alex looks after and he has his own blog so please go there to find out more about his work. It was really interesting to go and see it.







No comments:

Post a Comment